lunes, 1 de mayo de 2017

The spectacles of Snapchat are not only for millennials

 The spectacles of Snapchat are not only for millennials

Last month, Snapchat revealed its first hardware product, intelligent lenses equipped with a camera called spectacles.

Many will match the spectacles with Google Glass, but I ask them not to do so. Although we should take them with a healthy dose of skepticism, the spectacles are different from Google's high-tech lenses. If we had to match them with something, maybe it would be a GoPro. In addition, the spectacles only cost $130, while Google Glass costs 1.500.

Most importantly, in the eyes of the public targeted by this product, is that Snapchat – now known as Snap Inc. – is much cooler than Google.

Spectacles

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Snapchat's CEO, Evan Spiegel, spoke about an occasion when he used a prototype of the spectacles during a hike in 2015. "When I got the material and saw it, I could see my own memories, through my own eyes – it was amazing," he said. "Seeing pictures of an experience you had is one thing, but it is a very different to have an experience of experience." "It's as close as I've come to feel like I was there again."

Anyone who has ever used a GoPro understands the value of this assertion. The boys record themselves skating, skiing, swimming, snowboarding, and more. We could call them the capture generation. It is the demographic that snap understands and, as shown in this graph, which it seeks to attract.

Snap Spectacles chart

"Would you consider buying the spectacles?" asked Business Insider to the millennials. Absolutely, "said 5%;" 26% stated that "I would think"; "Probably not," asserted 33% and "in no Way" was the 32% response. Only 4% of the millennials said they knew nothing about the spectacles.

However, I suspect that the millennials are not the only ones who will be interested in the spectacles. The baby boomers are avid photographers and having a real time camera with them would give them more flexibility in terms of the things they capture. They also have more time to travel and relax. Personally, I often see interesting things during my travels that I decide not to capture, so having a device that I record with a single touch ready at any time would be very useful.

But the spectacles could have a more practical purpose as a kind of cameras for the dashboard of the car or "dash cams". The fixed location of these devices makes them relatively limited. But if I had a few spectacles, I'd have a more accurate view of what's around me. They could even be used for police work.

It can be hard to predict the success that a hardware product will have on the market. That said, the concept is quite sensible and having a recording device that looks like something most of us already have – sunglasses – and less like, well, Google Glass, is a good first step. You can bet that other companies will present alternatives with other styles or ally with Snap Inc. to provide other designs. Still, the hardware is complicated, Snap Inc. will need to work long before we take the spectacles more seriously.

0 comentarios: